Some people, when first ingesting Colloidal Silver, have the experience that is called the Herxheimer effect. This experience is a result of the silver very efficiently killing off pathogens too fast for the body to dispose of through the normal eliminative organs. This forces the body to utilize the secondary eliminative organs: the lungs, sinuses and skin. Sometimes a person who ingests Colloidal Silver for the first time will experience what feels like a cold or the flu (or diarrhea). This can be stopped by cutting back on the dosage (or completely abstaining for a day or so), or prevented by starting with a small dose (1/4 to 1 teaspoon twice a day) and gradually increasing the dosage. Some people even find they need to start off at first with just a few drops. People who are trying to self-treat a significant health condition (like asthma, or an internal infection) may need to work up to fairly large quantities each day (4 to 6 oz 2-3 times per day) before they see an improvement. There are no known instances of anyone overdosing with Colloidal Silver.